These past days have conjured vastly different feelings – sadness, frustration, confusion, reflection. In the midst of everything happening around the nation, I have proceeded with a glimmer of hope in my heart, hope for what the future can be. I know that with change comes the opportunity for progress and redefinition. Above all, I have faith in human kindness being the impetus of progress, but this requires me having faith in humankind to actually be kind. Of course, everyone reacts differently to uncertainty – both externally and internally.
In the moments where I have struggled to see the silver lining, I remind myself to take things day by day. I have found comfort in cooking, baking, drawing, and anything else that allows me to drift into a creative headspace. Rather than spend as much time on social media, I have focused my energy more on doing more of the things that bring me joy, which has involved me spending a lot more time in the kitchen. With our dishwasher still not working though, I have had to pick and choose what to cook/bake because my mom and I can only bear to hand wash so many dishes!
Fortunately, these cookies are not a hassle to whip up and they are worth a little extra cleaning. I absolutely love the combination of almond, coconut, and chocolate. I just don’t know why it took me this long to think of making Almond Joy cookies! My one complaint with Almond Joys is that they are coated in milk chocolate. Worse yet, they went as far as to create a dark chocolate version, but then decided to omit the almonds! If you didn’t know, I have a deep affinity for almonds. In high school I used to bring a 1 lb. bag of raw almonds in my backpack and just munch on them throughout the day (I am not denying that I have my quirks lol). If you are equally almond-obsessed, then this recipe was meant for you! Almond-lovers rejoice!
These pillowy little cookies will absolutely bring a little bit of happiness to your day and convince any non-believers that it is 100 percent acceptable to eat a cookie a day! Chocolatey, coconut, almond bliss and completely guilt-free, I hope these cookies bring as much joy to you as they do to me!
Almond Joy Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped unsalted almonds (raw or dry roasted will work!)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together to fully incorporate the dry ingredients.
- In another larger bowl, add the coconut sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Then, melt the coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds in a microwave-safe bowl. Allow the coconut oil to cool before adding it to the wet ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- Switching to a spatula, stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. The dough that forms should be malleable and able to hold together.
- Mix the chopped almonds, coconut, and chocolate chips into the dough.
- Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop out the cookie dough and shape it into balls.
- Place the dough balls about 2 inches apart from one another on the baking sheet and using your palm, flatten out each cookie to about 1/4 inch thickness. *Note: The cookies will rise substantially in the oven. However, they wil not spread.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies have puffed up and start to slightly brown along the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool completely.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and coconut oil and melt in 30-second increments in the microwave.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the chocolate over the cookies. Pop them in the fridge for 20 minutes to allow the chocolate to set completely and then they are ready to enjoy! The cookies can be stored in the fridge or at room temperature in a covered container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 cookies Serving Size: 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 143Total Fat: 10.2gSaturated Fat: 6.4gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 71mgCarbohydrates: 13.2gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 10.9gProtein: 2.1g
One thought on “Almond Joy Cookies (Gluten-Free)”
These look amazing!!