When it comes to breakfast, I definitely err on the side of savory over sweet. I absolutely love an egg white omelet (especially with pesto) and will find an excuse to throw some veggies into each meal of the day. I also love to make breakfast in the morning – it gives me a sense of accomplishment and is just another hour in the day where I get an opportunity to do something I love.
Unfortunately, my plans to make a morning omelet last week were brought to a halt by the fact that both our dishwasher and kitchen sink simultaneously decided to stop working (yikes!). So, needless to say, cooking has been made slightly more difficult in light of these events. Having made a grocery run and stocked up on all the omelet essentials before realizing this, I was searching for something to make that would require less clean up and not let the dozen eggs I had bought go to waste. That’s when the light bulb in my head clicked on and I remembered the humble quiche. And voila! A week’s worth of breakfast was born with only one day’s worth of clean up.
I didn’t want to make this dish too heavy so I opted to make it crustless and nixed the heavy cream you might find in a traditional quiche, but this dish does not in any way lack flavor. The marriage of tangy goat cheese, salty bacon, and the umami flavor that mushrooms give this quiche is the perfect union! This protein-packed dish is also incredibly satiating and hearty despite being under 150 calories a slice!
I also love that you can throw virtually anything into a quiche and it will taste delicious, meaning if you want to substitute or modify ingredients in the recipe, you can absolutely make changes where desired using the same egg and almond milk base. Roasted red pepper, sun dried tomato, pesto, and breakfast sausage would all be equally delicious in this recipe! I hope y’all love this recipe and sincerely appreciate your readership!
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 8 oz portabella mushrooms
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 strips bacon
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and cook the bacon on a foil-lined baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- While the bacon cooks, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a sauté pan on medium heat and sauté the mushrooms for 3-5 minutes until they are softened and turn golden brown. A minute before removing from the heat, add the spinach to the pan and allow it to wilt. Then, take the pan off the stove and set aside.
- After removing the bacon from the oven, place the strips on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess drippings. Dice the bacon and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, almond milk, salt, and pepper together.
- Spray a nine inch round baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add the mushrooms and spinach to the baking dish followed by the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle in the goat cheese and bacon over the quiche.
- Place the quiche in the oven and cook for 40-45 minutes until the entire quiche has puffed up and starts to brown along the top.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy immediately or cover and store in the fridge to enjoy for up to a week!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 133Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3.4gCholesterol: 176mgSodium: 436mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0.9gSugar: 1.2gProtein: 10.6g