I’ve decided I need to stop baking until quarantine ends – or at least try not to bake three times a week. We’ve reached a point where our fridge is 50 percent vegetables, 50 percent baked goods. Coupled with the fact that I have a dozen macarons and half a birthday cake in my fridge from my birthday, I think it’s time to hit the reset button.
Of course, that’s easier said than done. I mean I couldn’t just get rid of half a cake! And is there anything better than leftover cold cake? I have absolutely no control when it comes to buttercream frosting. It’s like crack. Not that I’ve tried crack – in fact I’m convinced buttercream is better, no taste test necessary.
Of course, when Cinco de Mayo rolled around, I was still in a cake-induced state of comatose and decided not to go all out for a Cinco de Mayo feast. Instead, I prepared something light, but still festive to honor the occasion with this white corn and arugula salad. Light and crisp, this salad is easily my new favorite and the dressing gives it a tangy kick that is unbeatable.
You can’t go wrong with white corn this time of year. Raw, grilled, warmed with a pat of butter…it’s delicious no matter how you eat it. I especially love it in salads though and found myself craving it in anticipation for Cinco de Mayo. Paired with peppery arugula and fresh cherry tomatoes, it is both vibrant and balanced.
Thank you for reading and hope y’all love this salad as much as I do!
- 10 oz arugula
- 2 ears of white corn (husks removed)
- 1 avocado (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 cup grated cotija cheese
Avocado Tomatillo Dressing
- 1/2 avocado
- 4 tomatillos
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeño (seeds removed)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Start by preparing the salad dressing and bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Peel and rinse the tomatillos to remove any sticky residue from them. Add the tomatillos to the the water and boil them for 4-5 min, until they turn a lighter greenish-yellow color.
- Remove the tomatillos from the boiling water and rinse in cold water to stop them from cooking further and help them cool.
- Once cooled, add the tomatillos, avocado, cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, olive oil, white wine vinegar, honey, and salt to a food processor and blend into a smooth consistency.
- Next, heat 2 tbsp. vegetable oil in a grill pan over medium-high heat. Add the corn to the grill pan, turning them occasionally until a nice char has developed on all sides (about 10 minutes).
- Remove the corn from the pan and allow to cool before using a knife to cut it off the cob into a large salad bowl.
- Add the arugula, tomatoes, and half the dressing to the bowl and toss the salad together. You can gradually add more dressing as deisred and save any leftover dressing in the frdige.
- Once ready to plate the salad, place a quarter of the avocado on each portion and sprinkle cotija cheese over each portion and it's ready to serve!
You can easily halve this recipe if making for two and store any leftover dressing in the frdige for 3-5 days!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 14.5gSaturated Fat: 2.9gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 382mgCarbohydrates: 17.7gFiber: 5.2gSugar: 5.5gProtein: 5.3g