You know that expression, “eat cake for breakfast”? As someone who will drop everything for a slice of cake with a thick slab of buttercream, I am no stranger to this expression. My only qualm with eating cake for breakfast is that, like eating a donut, I would get lethargic and sugar-dazed if I ate cake for breakfast each morning. However, I think I’ve found a happy medium with these flourless chocolate muffins. Despite their cake-like texture and rich chocolatey goodness, you would never know that they are nutrient-dense wonders that will fuel you for your day.
So how did these fudgy little muffins come into being? It all started last week. Having quickly finished off the batch of lemon poppyseed muffins I had been subsisting off of for the last week, I was in need of a new muffin in my life. Decidedly in a chocolate-crazed mood, I was committed to making a batch of flourless chocolate muffins. Why flourless? Because I LOVE how indulgent and rich a flourless chocolate cake tastes. What could be better with your morning coffee?!
Although I made these originally with the intent of satisfying a craving, I received so many requests for the recipes that I quickly jotted it down and decided to share it here! Normally, I don’t knock a recipe out of the park on the first try, but with the recent baking kick that I’ve been on, I’ve had a lot more practice as of late and there’s nothing I would change about these delightful muffins.
Despite how few ingredients are required for them, these muffins are protein-packed and make for a perfectly satisfying breakfast. Pro tip: warm them in the microwave for 20 seconds and top with 1/2 tsp creamy peanut butter. It melts with the warm chocolate chips and is absolutely divine! However, you enjoy them, I hope you love them as much as I do! Thanks for reading y’all!
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp oat flour (can be made by blending oats in a food processor)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/2 cup Greek/dairy-free yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and spraying a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. No muffin liners required for this recipe woohoo!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the peanut butter, yogurt, coconut sugar, and vanilla, mixing into an even consistency.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the cocoa powder, oat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add dry ingredients to bowl containing the peanut butter and yogurt mixture. Stir to combine and add in the egg.
- Fold the chocolate chips into the batter.
- Divide batter evenly between 9 muffins and top each muffin with additional chocolate chips. Pop them in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Total Fat: 9.9gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 214mgCarbohydrates: 15.7gFiber: 1.7gSugar: 11gProtein: 6.2g