Is there anything better than a warm muffin straight out of the oven with a generous slathering of butter? Probably, but I can’t think of anything that compares right now. I typically err on the side of a savory breakfast, but every once in a while I crave something sweet in the morning, and muffins are one of my favorite breakfast foods.
Every year on my birthday, my mom used to pick me up a pistachio muffin from The Market (a local grocery store) and we would stick a candle in it for a special birthday breakfast. As my birthday nears, I was reminded of this tradition the other day and instantly resolved to concoct a muffin to rival the beloved pistachio muffin.
Outside of pistachio, my other favorite flavor is a lemon poppy seed, so I decided to put a healthy spin on the classic with these low-cal, light and fluffy muffins! With the zing of lemon balanced by the sweet crunch of turbinado sugar, these muffins taste just as wonderful as they smell!
Serve these fluffy muffins with a pat of butter or jam and store them at room temperature in a closed container to enjoy throughout the week!
- 2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- 1 cup dairy-free yogurt (can use regular Greek yogurt as well)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- *optional: turbinado sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut sugar, yogurt, egg, vanilla, lemon juice, and zest and whisk together into an even consistency.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppy seeds together and mix so that the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Add half of the dry mixture to the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix well. Then, add in half of the cooled, melted butter and stir to combine. Repeat this process with the rest of the dry mixture and butter.
- Divide the batter evenly into 12 muffin tins and top each muffin with a sprinkling of turbinado sugar.
- Stick the muffins in the oven to bake for 15-17 minutes or until the edges turn a light golden brown.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before removing to a plate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163Total Fat: 7.2gSaturated Fat: 3.7gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 152mgCarbohydrates: 20.6gFiber: 1.8gSugar: 9.4gProtein: 4.4g