It just wouldn’t feel like Easter if we didn’t do something festive this year. We may not have any official plans and miss seeing our family, but we have plans to make up for it once we are out of this quarantine. In the meantime, baking is both therapeutic and a way for me to find a silver lining during this unconventional Easter weekend.
These delicious cookies are an adaptation of my favorite peanut butter chocolate chip cookies with a “Spring” in their step! Decadent and rich, you wouldn’t know that they are gluten-free or that the dough doesn’t have any refined sugar! If you want to keep these cookies refined-sugar-free, you can absolutely use chocolate that is refined-sugar free. However, I would be lying if I said I could imagine a better pairing with these peanut butter cookies than Hazelnut Spread M&Ms. The M&Ms are almost too sweet for my taste, but paired with the saltiness of the peanut butter, it’s a match made in heaven.
If only I could, I would go door to door sharing these cookies with all my friends! Because that’s not exactly considered social distancing, sharing this recipe will have to do!
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup chocolate candies of choice
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the coconut sugar, eggs, vanilla, and coconut oil. Whisk the ingredients together into an even consistency and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oat flour, baking soda, and salt and whisk together.
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl containing the wet ingredients and mix to combine. At this stage, you can add in the chocolate candies and fold them into the dough.
- Refrigerate the dough for ten minutes to allow it to set before removing from the fridge and using an ice cream scoop to form the cookies and lay them out on the baking sheet. Top the cookies with one to two more candies if desired.
- Stick the cookies in the oven for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will not spread much in the oven, but when the edges start to turn a light golden-brown, you can take them out of the oven. Once out of the oven, allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a plate (if they make it to a plate hehe).