Lately, I’ve been in a little bit of a breakfast slump. Nothing sounds good at 7:00 in the morning when I can’t be compelled to turn on the lights, let alone get crafty in the kitchen. I am an omelet-lover to the nth degree, but I’ve had to expand my horizons recently to find breakfast options that are easy and filling.
So, channeling my Pinterest obsession, I scrolled through old recipes I had saved and noticed I had bookmarked at least ten different overnight oat recipes. In prior attempts to make overnight oats, I hadn’t been successful and was reluctant to go on another recipe-testing adventure. However, this go-around I finally broke my streak of breakfast fails and developed a recipe I loved. With it officially being pumpkin season (yay!) I decided to go the festive route with these pumpkin-pie inspired overnight oats! With real pumpkin puree and just a dash (or two) of added sweetness, this recipe is guilt-free and makes waking up at 6:45 a little more exciting!
You can definitely add chia seeds should you feel so inclined. Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with chia seeds and certainly don’t want to see them in my oats. Chia seeds do have added benefits for heart health and making you feel fuller, but this recipe tastes as decadent as a slice of pie on its own already! Of course, what’s pumpkin pie without a dollop of whip cream? On breakfast (*gasp*)?! Um, YES! I have no shame in adding ten calories of sugary bliss to my breakfast, especially with dairy-free whip cream now available!
There is nothing boring about this recipe and
Calories per serving: 275 cal
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (I use gluten-free rolled oats which work just as well)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp real maple syrup sorry Aunt Jemima ain’t gonna cut it)
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir into an even consistency.
- Pour mixture into a glass jar and cover with a lid or foil to let thicken overnight.
- Top with spiced pecans, whip cream, cinnamon, apples, or whatever your heart fancies and enjoy!