Summer has quickly become my favorite seasons in recent years, simply because the produce this time of year is unmatched!
Coasting down the produce section of Trader Joe’s a couple days ago, I whipped my shopping cart in reverse when I caught sight of the most glorious white corn gleaming under the fluorescent store lights. On a whim, I added it to my cart and carried on, completely unsure what I would use it for at the time.
As I drove home, I concocted this recipe while I jammed out to my summer playlist (Maggie Rogers is decidedly my new favorite artist). Surprisingly, it has quickly become one of my favorite summer dishes I’ve made! With bacon, lettuce, and tomato, it’s almost a spin on a classic BLT…just without the mayo because ewww. Taste aversions aside, this recipe is savory, yet light, highlighting the season’s finest ingredients with citrus, fresh tarragon, and just a touch of bacony goodness from the pancetta!
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 ear of white corn
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 10 oz arugula
- 1/2 large Hass avocado
- 4 oz. pancetta
- Shaved parmesan to top
For the Lemon-Tarragon Vinaigrette:
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 stem of tarragon leaves
- Start by cooking the pancetta according to the package’s instructions. Remove from pan and place onto a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Next combine the lemon juice, olive oil, tarragon, garlic, dijon, and white wine vinegar in a small blender and emulsify.
- Place asparagus into a large pot and fill with water until asparagus is just covered. Prepare an ice bath for the asparagus in a large bowl and set the bowl aside.
- Bring the pot to a boil and allow the asparagus to turn bright green (2-3 min) before removing from heat and immediately placing in the ice bath.
- After the asparagus has cooled, remove from the ice bath and pat dry. Cut off the ends of the asparagus and reserve the tips for the salad.
- Halve the tomatoes and cut corn off of the cob. Add these ingredients to a large salad bowl along with the asparagus.
- Add in the arugula to the bowl with the other ingredients and toss in the salad dressing.
- Dish out portions of the salad and top with the avocado, pancetta, and parmesan.
And voila! The salad is ready to serve! Optionally, you can also make the salad ahead of time and top it off with the avocado, pancetta, and parmesan shortly before serving. However you serve this salad, it is bound to be a crowd-pleaser! I hope you enjoy it and appreciate you tuning in on this lovely Tuesday!