When it comes to breakfast, I err on the side of choosing whatever I can get in my mouth fast enough every morning. If it takes more than 15 minutes to make, chances are I’ll opt for Starbucks’ sous vis egg white bites (which are fabulous by the way) instead.
Before the magical sous vis bites descended from heaven though, I was obsessed with Fage Greek yogurt. There were even days where I would eat the Fage raspberry split-cups for breakfast AND dessert. But alas, when I had to cut dairy out of my diet, I had to give up my favorite breakfast staple.
However, after making a cherry compote for some out-of-this-world tart cherry pie bars from Ambitious Kitchen last week, I decided to make a raspberry compote that would rival the “fruit on the side” in my beloved raspberry Fage. And, I used “co-yo” (coconut milk yogurt) instead to give this recipe a non-dairy twist!
In the non-dairy world, the yogurt scene is quickly growing and people are finding new things to milk every day! Almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, oat milk…how’s a girl choose?! For this recipe, you can opt for your yogurt of choice (non-dairy or not) but if you are looking for a good non-dairy option, I love So Delicious brand’s coconut milk yogurt as well as Forager brand’s cashewgurt.
Of course, what’s a good yogurt parfait without the essential sprinkling of granola on top? Purely Elizabeth’s granola puts all gluttonous granola to shame! The perfect crunch and the right balance of sweet and salty make this granola highly addictive and the perfect topping for a parfait. As I write this, I’m considering getting up from the couch to grab a handful. But alas, with Real Housewives of New York on in the background I’m not getting up anytime soon.
But back to yogurt (a tantalizing topic of discussion)! The beauty of this recipe is that it tastes even better if you make it the night before, meaning the only thing you have to worry about in the morning is finding a spoon!
Raspberry Lemon Compote:
- 2 cups raspberries
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup unsweetened yogurt (I used So Delicious brand’s coconut milk unsweetened vanilla)
- raspberry lemon compote (see above)
- 2-3 tbsp. Purely Elizabeth Original Granola
- honey to drizzle on top (optional)
- raspberries to top (optional)
Making the compote:
- Combine the raspberries, lemon juice, lemon zest and maple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring the ingredients to boil and then reduce heat, then add in the cornstarch.
- Allow the contents to simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the compote thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the compote into a glass container and let it cool completely before closing and storing the container in the fridge.
Assembling the parfait:
- Taking a small mason jar (or similar container), add 1/2 cup of yogurt to the container.
- Spoon out the first half of the compote over the yogurt.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of yogurt, then pour the remaining compote over top.
- Finish off the parfait with a couple of tablespoons of granola and optionally, a drizzle of honey and fresh berries.
Best consumed in pj’s! Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think!